A European working group, composed by research experts on the subject known as animal fibre science, has started to work from 2007 under the name of “Animal Fibre working group”. This EAAP working group of international experts work on key issues such as biology, genetic/ genomic, nutrition, fibre assessment technology, quality and physical properties of animal fibres and their processing products, animal husbandry, animal welfare and economic/societal impacts related to Animal fibre and animal tegument production.
The aim of the group is to create a network of investigation and organize meetings to facilitate the interchange of information and progress on different themes related to biology and economy of Animal fibre science and animal tegument production, as well to encourage the dissemination of this knowledge.
The core group of Animal Fibre WG is composed as following:
- Juan Pablo Gutierrez Garcia (president), University Complutense Madrid, Spain. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carlo Renieri (vice –president), University of Camerino, Italy. email@example.com
- Mojca Simcic from University of Ljubljana, Slowenia. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Maria Wurzinger (secretary), BOKU, University of Natural resources and Life Sciences Vienna, Vienna, Austria. email@example.com
- Daniel Allain, INRA, Toulouse, France. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hugh Galbraith, University of Aberdeen, United Kingdom. email@example.com
- Martina Gerken, Georg-August-University Goettingen, Germany. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marco Antonini, University of Camerino, Italy. email@example.com
- Anna M Johansson, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alfredo Pauciullo, University of Torino, Italy, email@example.com
- Elena Ciani, University of Bari, Italy, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Angelika Freitag, Medical doctor and Private farmer, Germany, email@example.com
The following meetings were organized by the core group
- first meeting of the Animal fibre working group (October 2007) at University of Camerino (Italy)
- EAAP annual meeting 2008 Satellite: The European research on fine fibre-producing animals. Animal, 4(9): 1447-1509. (5 full papers), edited by Hugh Galbraith. http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayIssue?decade=2010&jid=ANM&volumeId=4&issueId=09&iid=7862992
- workshop on “Animal natural fibres for the stimulation of the local small factories and local markets” , Warsaw (May 2010).
- 5th European Symposium on South American Camelids and 1stEuropean meeting on Fibre animals, Sevilla, Spain (October, 2010).”Fibre production in South American Camelids and other fibre animals (e-book)”, edited by Maria Ángeles Pérez-Cabal, Juan Pablo Gutiérrez, Isabel Cervantes & María Jesús Acalde, Wageningen Academic Publishers,Wageningen, The Netherlands, 248pp .
- Fibre production in Central and Eastern countries. 63th EAAP annual meeting (session 54), Bratislava Slovakia).
- 6thEuropean Symposium on South American Camelids and 2nd European meeting on Fibre animals, a one day symposium during 64th EAAP Annual meeting (session 43), Nantes, France (August 2013):
- Fur, Fibre and skin animal production. 65thEAAP Annual meeting (session36), Copenhagen, Denmark (August, 2014),
- Sheep and goat free communications. 66thEAAP Annual meeting (session 48), Warsaw, Poland (September 2015)
- Sheep and goat free communications. 67thEAAP Annual meeting (session 59),Belfast, United Kingdom, North Ireland (August 2016),
- 7thEuropean Symposium on South American Camelids and 3rd European meeting on Fibre animals, Assisi, Italy (12 – 14 June, 2017). In M. Gerken, C. Renieri, D. Allain, H. Galbraith, J.P. Gutiérrez, L. McKenna, R. Niznikowski, M. Wurzinger (eds) 2019: Advances in Fibre Production Science in South American Camelids and other Fibre Animals (e-book). Universitätsverlag Göttingen, Göttingen, Germany.
- Fibre from camelids and sheep. 70th EAAP annual meeting (session 53), Ghent (Belgium) (August 2019). https://meetings.eaap.org/session/53-fibre-from-camelids-and-sheep/
- 8thEuropean Symposium on South American Camelids and 4rd European meeting on Fibre animals, Bolzano, Italy (26 – 28 September, 2022).
The following meetings were organized by the core group
EAAP Webinar “Shearing animal welfare demanded by consumers but are we prepared?” on May the 10th, 2022
Objectives of Animal fibre WG
- To deal with specific scientific and development problems related to animal fibre science and animal tegument production that might be discussed within the EAAP annual meetings
- To discuss the Animal Fibre issues in a broad perspective that can lead to new ideas for research and development programs
- To achieve a large participation from scientists of EAAP countries
- To encourage participation at the EAAP session, and specifically at the activity of the working group, animal fibre industry representatives
- To produce high quality proceedings of the symposia that can be used as scientific references
- To organize a general workshop at the interval of about three years to be held in a EAAP country and, in the interval years, specific workshops to be held during the EAAP annual session
- To disseminate information and to publish articles/books and professional papers on Animal fibre science and South American Camelids.
- To encourage participation of researchers from EAAP countries to internationally funded projects as well as in activities carried out by other international organisations
- To provide information in the EAAP website
- To co-ordinate activities with the EAAP Study Commissions
Publication list on European symposium on “South American Camelids”
- Gerken, C. Renieri, D. Allain, H. Galbraith, J.P. Gutiérrez, L. McKenna, R. Niznikowski, M. Wurzinger (eds) 2019: Advances in Fibre Production Science in South American Camelids and other Fibre Animals. Universitätsverlag Göttingen, Göttingen, Germany. ISBN: 978-3-86395-408-6
Allain, D. (Ed.) (2013): 6th European Symposium on South American Camelids and 2nd European meeting on Fibre animals, one day symposium during 64th EAAP Annual meeting, Nantes, France (August 2013)
Pérez-Cabal, M. A., J.P. Gutiérrez, I. Cervantes and M. J. Alcalde (Eds.) (2010): Fibre production in South American Camelids and other fibre animals (2010) edited by, 5th European Symposium on South American Camelids and 1st European s meeting on Fibre animals, Sevilla, Spain (October, 2010). Wageningen Academic Publishers, Wageningen, The Netherlands, 248pp . ISBN: 978-90-8686-172-9
Frank, E., M. Antonini, and O. Toro (Eds) (2008): South American camelids research. Volume 2. Wageningen Academic Publishers, Wageningen, ISBN: 978-90-8686-020-3
Gerken, M. and C. Renieri (Eds) (2006): South American camelids research. Volume 1. Proc. 4th European Symposium on South American Camelids and DECAMA European Seminar. Göttingen, 7-9 October, 2004. Wageningen Academic Publishers, Wageningen, ISBN-10: 90-76998-98-1
Gerken, M. and C. Renieri (Eds.) (2001): Progress in South American camelids research. Proc. 3rd European Symposium on South American Camelids and SUPREME European Seminar, 27-29 May 1999, Göttingen, Germany. EAAP publication No. 105, Wageningen Pers, Wageningen, ISBN 9074134912
Gerken, M. und C. Renieri (Eds.) (1996): Proc. 2nd European Symposium on South American Camelids. 30 August -2 September 1995, Camerino, Università degli studi di Camerino, Camerino, ISBN 88-900026-1-1
Gerken, M. und C. Renieri (Eds.) (1994): Proceedings European Symposium on South American Camelids. 30 September-1 October 1993, Bonn. Università degli studi di Camerino, 270 pp, ISBN 88-900026-0-3